As many of you know, I’ve been battling acne since I was a teenager. Until now, it’s one of those things that I constantly have to work on and enforce a diligent acne routine to keep my acne at bay. Of course, it came as no surprise that I was plagued with acne at the beginning of my pregnancy.With my hormones out of whack and my regular acne products out of the equation, I was hit bad case of angry acne. All I could do in the beginning was to bake my face with thick foundation and I hate wearing so much foundation so it definitely made me super insecure.
I’ve tried and tested a number of pregnancy-safe acne products and have settled on a good routine again. My acne subsided during my second trimester and it has cleared out now. I still have my scars and marks but I’m viewing this as rights of passage and a physical commemoration of my pregnancy. Here is my pregnancy acne routine:
- I remove my makeup with good old organic coconut oil before washing my face.
- I squirt a coin-sized amount of Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash and thoroughly wash my face and neck for 1 minute. This cleanser is very mild and is made of natural inflammatory ingredients such as cucumber and green tea.
- I dry my face and spray The Spoiled Mama Balanc Toner all over my face and neck. This toner helps fight pregnancy acne and contains fruit extract and geranium oil to help balance the skin. Plus, it smells amazing!
- I then pump a pea-sized amount of The Spoiled Mama Rehab Serum. This plant based serum helps control pregnancy acne breakout and diminishes the look of acne scars. I love this product as it sinks in the skin making it feel instantly soft and lifted.
- I use a different serum for day and night. For day, I use L’occitane Shea Face Comforting Oil that is enriched with shea and murala oil. It keeps my face hydrated throughout the day and is a good base for makeup. For night, I rely on my beloved Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil that is especially targeted for combination skin. It combines a blend of rosewood, geranium and lotus extracts that helps with tightening of the pores and balances the skin’s texture. It also smells amazing.
- I use Mario Badescu Drying Cream as an overnight acne fighting cream. A little dot on any acne dries and heals it overnight. It’s my miracle product.
While these products certainly help, a healthy diet goes hand and hand with fighting pregnancy acne so while it’s tempting to gorge on burgers and chocolates, remember that they cause acne to erupt and get worse.
Unfortunately, none of these products can be found in Doha and had to order everything on Amazon. Hope you find this useful and if you have any questions, comment below.