You know the magical pregnancy glow that pregnant women are bestowed upon? Yeah, I did not get that. What I did get is angry hormonal acne. My face, especially my cheek area looks like a war zone (still does). I’ve battled acne my whole life and it’s one of my biggest insecurities so you can imagine that I didn’t feel that glow radiating. To make matters worse, it turned out that the acne products I’ve been using are now a no-go as it contains chemicals such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid and benzoyl peroxide that are harmful for the baby.
What other products should I stay away? from was my next question. I spent an entire evening researching pregnancy safe products like I suddenly got bitten with maternal responsibility and guilt. My luxurious French products, oils and serums were temporarily stashed away in exchange for 100% natural, baby safe products. I’ve been more lenient about other things since like dry shampoo, nail polish or makeup but have learned to love and enjoy these products.
After so much Google’ing, here are my suggestions for pregnancy-safe beauty products:
- Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (available in Megamart): Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural magic product that can you literally use for anything. I use this as a toner for my face combined with chamomile tea and lavender essence. My acne dries almost the next day after using this.
- Weleda Calendula Soap: this is a mild cleansing soap targeted for baby’s sensitive skin. It’s formulated with organic calendula flower extract and organic chamomile flower extract. It’s lightly fragnant and this leaves my skin baby soft post shower.
- Lucas Papaw Oitment: the national treasure of Australia! A friend of mine got me a tube from Australia and haven’t been able to part with it ever since. Made from pure papaw, it’s an all round aid treatment for chapped lips, burns, bruises, nappy rasha and even cracked nipples.
- Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil (available in Sephora): this is the only product that I thankfully don’t have to part with. It’s targeted towards oily and combination skin and made from 100% plant extracts like rosewood, geranium, and lotus. I love applying it at night as it makes my skin feels luxurious and smells fantastic.
- Belli Anti-Blemish Face Wash: This is one of the few acne products that are formulated specifically for pregnant women suffering from acne. It’s contains lactic acid with green tea and cucumber extract to help treat acne-prone skin
- Rahua Volumizing Shampoo: Rahua shamppo are 100% organic and contains Rawa, Amazonian nut oil, prized by the Quechua-Shuar tribe for their thick, and glossy hair. It definitely changed my hair texture from oily to bouncy and voluminous.
- Bio-Oil (available in most pharmacies): It’s the most popular product among pregnant women to help prevent stretch marks. I’ve been using it morning and evening around my belly, chest, lower back and hip area to prevent future stretch marks. It smells amazing as well!
- Marc Jacobs Marvelous Mousse Foundation (available in Sephora): I typically stay away from heavy foundation but since getting attacked by monstrous acne, I had to find a way to cover it up. This award-winning mouse foundation gives me full coverage without making my face look cakey and dry. I use it only on affected areas and then spray thermal water spray to seal the makeup in place.
- Avene Cleanance Hydra Cream (available in most pharmacies in Doha): This is a non-greasy moisturizer that helps reduce my acne redness. It’s a great moisturizer for acne-prone skin. It’s also a great base for makeup along with Avene Thermal Water Spray.
I’d love to know if you have any other recommendations for pregnancy-safe beauty products. Comment below!