Bad news ladies: summer vacation is over.
When I came back from my holiday, I was certainly glad to have fresh clothes and be in the comfort of my own house but I immediately dreaded the fact of going back to work and well, going back to reality. Not only are my work clothes slightly tighter than usual due to the extra baggage in the mid-section but overall, it’s the harsh realization that I’ve let myself go over the holidays (no regrets).
Instead of diving into detoxing and going back to the gym, it’s the little adjustments that got me through the first week and eased my way back into reality. For me, it’s all about feeling like my old self again. That meant getting my hair color done, getting myself new workout gear to get motivated to go to the gym and even incorporating my summer holiday staples into work.
Here are my 9 tips to battle your post holiday blues:
Hair Damage Control
- Hair Detox: Get rid of residue and product build up on your hair. An apple cider vinegar rinse clarifies, revitalizes, and nourishes your hair leaving it smooth and shiny. All you need to do is mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar and use it as a shampoo rinse. You can continue rinsing your hair with water afterwards to get rid of the smell.
- Deep Conditioning: your hair needs some serious rescuing from being exposed to the sun, water, salt and daily styling over the holiday. Treat your hair with a deep conditioning masque like this one from Oribe.
- Hair color: getting your hair colored or even your hair touched up post holiday can make you feel excited to go back to the real world. Give your hair a much needed color treatment to get rid of brass tones and color fading from the sun.
Kick Start Your Health
- Workout Gear: Give yourself a little incentive to go back to the gym by getting cute little workout pieces/items like this sports bra. It works for me, as I generally hate spending money on something I won’t use.
- Lunch box: get into the habit of packing a healthy lunch for work and make the process fun by getting yourself a lunch box. I like this bento box (you can find a lot in Daiso) for its functional design and it’s just the right size
- Workout Playlist: what better way to get you motivated to going back to the gym than an epic playlist? Don’t forget to include your summer hits to reminisce over your holiday.
Recycle Holiday Clothes
- Take your sandals to work: That’s right! Even Birkenstocks can be office friendly just as long as you keep everything work appropriate. I love pairing my sandals with culottes and midi skirts.
- Incorporate summer clothes into work: If you’re not ready to start wearing work clothes yet, why not wear your eyelet skirt to work pairing it with a button-down shirt or layer your cami with an oversized blazer.
- Wear your holiday buys on the weekend: I often get inspired by my surroundings during my holiday and start buying clothes that do not mesh with my entire wardrobe back home. But that’s fine, because these things are my souvenirs and I love to wear them during the weekends to relish the holidays.
I’d love to know- what are your post-holiday strategies?